Sunday, November 9, 2008

No Police Action (for me) This Halloween

Last Halloween, South Carolina sex offenders were rounded up and forced to sit out the night with police. This year, Maryland sex offenders were forced to hang signs on their doors (absurdly designed as bright-orange pumpkins, no less) reading, "No Candy At This Residence." Who comes up with these ideas?

It's been five years since I moved to this small town in Washington and experienced the nightmare that followed—aggressive public notification, banning from businesses, whispers, stares, and threats on the street. Things have calmed down enormously since then, and local authorities have backed way off. But the reality is I’m still on the registry. I still live with the fear of retroactive laws changes, sex crimes that may be committed in my area, and the real probability of attack from vigilantes. (Sometimes I hear shouts as people drive by my place at night.)
This year I'm happy to report that my Halloween passed without incident. No police orders in my mailbox, no scarlet pumpkins on my doorstep. But what about next year? And the one after that? I have never offended a child in my life. But that doesn't keep people from assuming I'm a molester. Never has a case been documented of a child being molested while trick-or-treating. But this didn't keep people from going crazy with the idea elsewhere. By next Halloween the Adam Walsh Act may already be law here in Washington. What will happen to me then?

2 comments:

  1. The pumpkin thing is just one more absurdity on the list to which RSO's are subjected. (I am not one, by the way.) I'd love to see a post about the Constitution from you, Monstermart. As far as I can tell, it's been left out when it comes to RSO's. It's happened to other groups in our history and is ALWAYS a VERY bad sign.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your input, anonymous, and your fine idea about a "constitutional" post. I'll get to work on it ASAP.

    ReplyDelete